Home > Our Team > Moses Kipkogei
Moses Kipkogei is a Partner at G & A Advocates LLP. In his illustrious career, Moses has garnered a wealth of experience and knowledge in diverse fields of law including Constitutional Law Litigation and Human Rights enforcement, environmental law litigation, negotiating and drafting construction contracts, as well as policy and legal governance. He has also garnered a wealth of knowledge and experience in generating policy instruments for public sector agencies that informs law reforms and legislative initiatives.
Moses holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from Moi University and a postgraduate diploma from the Kenya School of Law. In addition, he is a governance expert having been certified by the Kenya School of Government, and has played an integral role in the formulation of both corporate and national policies on a wide spectrum of issues.
His sterling career in key institutions such as the now defunct Electoral Commission of Kenya, the Office of the Attorney General and the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission give credence to his competence in matters governance. It is against this backdrop that Moses heads the Policy, Legal Compliance and Legislative Drafting practice area, new addition and niche offering of the firm’s.
During the course of his career in the public and private sectors, Moses has successfully handled diverse assignments in his chosen areas of practice including:
- Participated in developing the law reform policy framework for the Commission which informed amendments to the Elections Act and a host of other electoral law statutes.
- Conceptualized and drafted the Elections (Technology) Regulations amongst other Regulations made under the Elections Act to govern the conduct of elections in Kenya.
- Participated in conceptualizing and formulating the draft Regulations under the Elections Campaign Financing Act which sought to regulate the amount of money that may be used by political parties and candidates during an election.
- Represented the Attorney General in defending construction claims against various Government Departments where the net value of the claims run into billions of shillings. Some of those disputes included contractual claims by the contractors appointed by the Government during the construction of Garissa Teachers College and Kitui Teachers College (now Garissa and South Eastern University Colleges respectively), construction of Thika-Mwingi Highway and Rironi-Nakuru Highway, construction of Lake Basin Development Authority Headquarters amongst other highly contentious and high-value claims.
- Acted as legal counsel for the Land Acquisition Compensation Tribunal, a quasi-judicial body established under the now-repealed Land Acquisition Act, where he represented the Commissioner of Lands in assessing compensation for land compulsorily from private individuals for public use.
- Part of the defense team of the Republic of Kenya in respect of disputes lodged by various claimants before the African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights situated in Banjul, Gambia. Those claims included those lodged on behalf of the Nubian Community in Kenya and the Endorois Community in Baringo amongst others.
- Part of a team which prepared and appeared before the East African Court of Justice on behalf of the Attorney General with respect to the claims filed by the residents of Mt. Elgon claiming that their Human Rights had been infringed by the military during the Government efforts to stamp out the Sabaot Land Defence Forces militia.
Beyond the hard knocks of the law and the practice of law, Moses is an avid reader of diverse subjects including public policy, economics, politics amongst others.
Member of the Law Society of Kenya
Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Kenya Chapter
Member of International Dipute Resolution Centre
Member of the International Centre for Parliamentary Studies