Eric Gumbo is the Managing Partner of G & A Advocates LLP. Beyond his qualification in the normative training of Law, Eric has over the years also enhanced and focused his practice of law in Dispute Resolution and Commercial Law. Towards deepening his training and experience within the two areas of practice, he has also undertaken and completed programs on Financial Markets from Yale University, Arbitration from the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Kenya Branch) and Fintech Law and Policy from Duke University. He is currently undertaking a course in Green Business strategy from the Hongkong University of Science and Technology.
In his career as an Advocate, Eric has successfully handled numerous highly sensitive matters including:
- As part of the team selected to advise and represent Kenya’s elections management body in all the three (3) Presidential Election Petitions filed in in the Supreme Court of Kenya. Acted as legal counsel for one of the state corporations in relation to a claim presented against the state corporation by a downstream affiliate of one of the multinational oil and gas companies where the value of the subject matter was in excess of US$ 45 Million.
- Advised and represented a leading electric power producer in a ground breaking transaction between it and the Government of Djibouti for drilling of three geothermal wells in Djibouti.
- Provided legal advisory and contracting support to a transport-sector state corporation which involved reviewing and drafting of commercial agreements, and negotiating of diverse aspects with various contracting parties in relation to one of the countryâs flagship infrastructure projects.
- In the Public Private Partnership space, Eric is currently part of a team that is advising and representing one of the energy sector state corporations in relation to a claim filed before the Public-Private Partnership Petitions Committee in relation to a project valued in excess of US$ 320 Million.
- Eric also continues to act for diverse entities entrusted with the carrying out of various regulatory and independent constitutional mandates in sectors such as health, energy, telecommunication, education, trade, aviation, procurement, environment and natural resources, capital markets and financial services.
Whilst not engaging in actual practice of law, Eric currently serves as a Non-Executive Chairperson of the Legal Aid Centre for Eldoret (LACE), a Council Member representing the Law Society of Kenya in the Council for Legal Education(C.L.E) and as a Board Member of the Kenya Re-Insurance Company Limited (Kenya Re), a public listed company.
He was also recently appointed by His Excellency the President to serve as a member of the panel mandated to recruit the Auditor General for the Republic of Kenya.
Eric is a great sports enthusiast and specifically an avid golfer which he on a light note constantly refers to as his side-hustle.
Member of the Law Society of Kenya
Member of the East Africa Law Society