Delbert is an Associate at G&A Advocates LLP. His practice focuses on Civil and Commercial Litigation, Corporate and Commercial Law, Constitutional and Human Rights Litigation, Employment and Labour Law, Insurance Claims, Debt Recovery and Family Law. He holds a Master of Laws (LL.M) in International Financial Law and Regulation at Strathmore Law School where he has been exposed to Capital Markets and Securities Law, Insolvency and Restructuring Law, Syndicated Lending, Project Financing, issuance of Sovereign Bonds, Fintech Law, among other areas within that area of specialization.
In addition, to the above, Delbert has completed a certification course on Public Private Partnerships issued by Strathmore Law School, Corporate Governance issued by Columbia Law School and has a certification from the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Kenya) Branch (CIArb).
Delbert is an alumnus of Kabarak University (LL.B) and has a post-graduate diploma from the Kenya School of Law. He previously worked at Mohammed Muigai LLP and Okweh Achiando & Company Advocates before joining the G&A team.
- Successfully defended the Konza Technopolis Development Authority in a dispute before the Public Procurement Administrative Review Board challenging the award of a tender for the construction of a conference facility worth over Kes. 4 Billion.
- Successfully defended the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) at the Employment and Labour Relations Court in various causes filed by former Judicial Staff, claiming unfair termination of employment and/or wrongful dismissal.
- Part of the team representing the Judicial Service Commission and the Judiciary of Kenya in an ongoing dispute regarding the acquisition by the Judiciary of the Elgon place building which was earmarked for use as the Court of Appeal.
- Part of the team that is presently representing the National Irrigation Authority in various Petitions challenging the implementation of the Lower Kuja Irrigation Development Project
- Part of the team that successfully defended the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission in 9 consolidated petitions challenging results of the August 9, 2022 Presidential Election.
Presently representing various Banks in suits involving;-
- Alleged claims for breach of bank-customer relationship between the Banks and their customers.
- Realization of the Bank’s security for Facilities secured by securities offered by the customers in which the customers seek orders of injunction restraining the Bank from selling the properties with a view to recover the loan amounts.
Top Matters – Prior to Joining G&A
- Part of the team that moved the Employment and Labour Relations Court sitting at Nairobi to suspend the implementation of the 1.5% housing levy that was to be levied on workers’ monthly pay to create a housing fund in Milimani ELRC Petition No. 138 of 2018.
- Part of the team that conducted a Legal, Compliance and Governance audit of a leading regional bank.
- Successfully represented two members of Senior Management of a leading State Authority in the Energy Sector who had been redesignated and redeployed in an unprocedural manner.
- Part of the team that prepared a Human Resource Practice and Procedures Manual and a Whistleblower’s Policy for a leading export company that is at the forefront of fresh produce, flowers and logistics.
- Advised a leading Human Resource Recruitment Agency on the best entity and structure for incorporating similar entities within the East African Community.
- Part of the team that acted for a corporate client in a Tax Appeal Tribunal Cause involving a custom duty payment dispute which included filing the notice of appeal, memorandum of appeal and statement of facts at the Tribunal and the subsequent settlement of the dispute at the corporate tax dispute resolution forum.
Other Relevant Achievements
- Participant in the Stakeholder Review of the Kabarak University Law School Bachelor of Laws Curriculum Review as a representative of the Alumni (February & March 2020).
Membership and Affiliations
- Law Society of Kenya