Arriella J. Saina is an Associate in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution team based in Nairobi. Arriella has a particular focus on arbitration in the energy, oil and gas, and infrastructure sectors. She also has significance experience on a wide range of employment and employment-related issues, specializing on contentious issues including termination of employment.
Arriella holds a Master of Laws degree from University of Nairobi, a post-graduate diploma from the Kenya School of Law and a Bachelors of Law degree from Catholic University of Eastern Africa. She previously worked with DLA Piper Africa (IKM Advocates), United Nations Office of Staff Legal Assistance and Maritime Center/FishFORCE Academy.
- Advising an electricity generating company on a geothermal project worth Kshs. 709 Million. This involves drafting an international geothermal drilling contract between Kenya and Djibouti as well as post-contract advisory on the implementation of the contract.
- Representing a major oil company in an arbitration proceeding in a claim worth Kshs 2.6 Billion.
- Representing a multinational company in an arbitration proceeding involving a major construction project in Nairobi in a claim worth 600 Million.
- Representing and advising the Judicial Service Commission in various suits filed by former judicial officers and staff on disciplinary and other employment-related issues/proceedings.
- Part of the team that successfully advised the Government of Kenya on the Medical Equipment Services (MES) Project, the largest health sector Public Private Partnership deal in Africa worth Kshs. 50 Billion.
- Part of the team that defended the Government of Kenya in multi-billion-dollar investments arbitration proceedings (Cortec Mining Limited and the Republic of Kenya, ICSID Case No. ARB/15/29) at the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Law Society of Kenya – Member
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum – Member
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group – Member