Angella has over eight years experience in law specializing in conveyancing and commercial law. She has in recent years developed expertise in energy and natural resources law, environmental law and policy. Her competence in these areas makes her a valued resource not just in the department she heads but also across the firm’s other practice areas.
Angella holds a Master of Laws degree in Environmental Law from the University of Cape Town, and a Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of Nairobi. She is trained in Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Audit and is capable of offering sound advice on environmental regulatory compliance and sustainability.
- Advising on and drafting an international geothermal drilling contract valued at Kshs.709,000,000 between Kenya and Djibouti as well as post-contract advisory on the implementation of the contract;
- Advised on an acquisition of a local franchise company valued at Kshs.100,000,000.00, application for requisite approvals under the Transfer of Business Act, Competition Act and all other applicable laws (including advising on applicability of COMESA competition law), drafting assignments of leases and advising and drawing deeds of release for transfer of employees to the new entity.
- Advised on the restructuring credit facility worth Kshs.150,000,000.00 including advising on the legal validity of the transfer of credit obligations, the apparent commonality of shareholding and the significance thereof to the restructuring, the tax implications of restructuring the facility and the legal exposure on the financial institution should the restructuring be approved.
- Advising a government entity on the process of asserting its title to property allotted to it in the 1960s and for which the entity did not process the title documents and which was irregularly hived off by encroachers;
- Acted for a real estate developer in structuring the sales and completing the registration of transfers of over 100 maisonettes in Athi River valued at approximately 9,000,000 each;
- Acting for a leading bank in conducting due diligence on a title securing a borrowing of up to USD 27,900,000 in which the title was listed in the National Land Commission’s report and recommended for revocation on grounds of being public land;
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Member of the Law Society of Kenya
Member of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
Researcher at the Legal Response Initiative, London
- Moderator in a seminar held at the Strathmore University on environmental, health and safety in the petroleum sector.
- Guest environmental lawyer on NTV SASA speaking on the legal implications of construction on riparian reserves and the government’s moratorium on charcoal production and trade.
- Speaker at the Annual Climate Change and Litigation in Africa: the Kenyan jurisprudence workshop held at the Strathmore University.
- A preliminary survey of whether a state can be held responsible for environmental damage by its nationals: A case study of wildlife crime in Africa– A paper presented at the Environmental Law Association’s Student Conference held at the Northwest University, Pretoria, South Africa.